Essential questions are posted in the classroom each week as content is discussed. The questions will also be listed here to give parents an idea of what is being studied in the classroom. Current questions will be posted in red, however, students should remember that many of our EQ's are addressed all year long. Students are responsible for keeping their notebooks up-to-date. With the adoption of the Georgia Performance Standards, it is necessary for students to become familiar with the verbiage of our standards. With the use of essential questions, students will benefit by learning new vocabulary and specific content for which they are responsible.What is a standard?
Why is knowing an essential question important for students?
Reading and Language Arts:
1. Why do we read?
2. Why is it important to have a purpose for reading?
3. How does increasing your vocabulary make you a better reader?
4. How does knowing the root of a word help us to define it?
5. What role does fluency play in an effort to improve your reading comprehension?
6. What makes a group of words a sentence?
7. Why are complete sentences important in communication?
8. What are good writing traits?
9. How do we use different types of writing to communicate ideas?
10. What purpose does punctuation serve in written material?
11. How can we identify an author's point of view in a reading selection?
12. How does knowing the parts of a book help us to locate information quickly?
13. How can we use figurative language in our writing to paint a colorful picture for our reader?
1. Why is reading in math important?
2. How does understanding place value help us to compare and order numbers?
3. What is the difference between place value and value?
1. How can we use technology in the classroom?
2. What are the steps in the scientific process?
3. Why is accurate data collection important to the scientific process?
1. What is the difference between a rule and a law?
2. What is the difference between rights and responsibilities?
3. How is an organized approach to research useful?
4. Why was it important for a plan of government to work for both states and the national government?
5. Why was the Great Compromise a plan that worked for all the states under the new Constitution?
6. What does "E Pluribus Enum" mean?
7. Why is the Bill of Rights so important to us as individuals?